Sunday, May 20, 2012

#20: Dramatize your ideas

As someone who is self-proclaimed "cheesy," Principle #20 was pretty much made for people like me.  Anyone who knows me will attest to this fact!  What you might not know is that Principle 20 is also made for you!

We live in a world of drama now.  Look no further than the evening news.  For example, we no longer have Channel 3 News in Omaha - we have "ACTION 3 News!"  Sometimes it's enough to make me turn off the TV.  I think our world shows us that there's a time and place for Principle 20.  Let me share a couple successful uses that I've witnessed lately.

A few weeks ago, the firm where I work had its annual karaoke concert.  Every new employee at the firm is required to sing a song that has been chosen by their colleagues.  Most people (me included) just try to survive.  This year was a little different thanks to a couple employees who took Principle 20 to the extreme.  They completely dramatized their songs from re-writing the lyrics to suit them perfectly to hiring a soprano sax player to belt out the interlude.  It was AMAZING - and people are talking about their performances to this day.  There was no just getting by for these two -- they dramatized their ideas and won over their audience as a result!

On a personal note, I was giving Tyler, my two-year old son, underdogs in his swing this weekend.  He said he wanted "a big one."  I stretched my arms as wide as they can go and replied, "Do you want a GIANT one, Tyler?"  Tyler's face lit up and he kept repeating "GIANT" with his arms stretched wide.  Just living proof that this dramatization stuff works!  Tyler added a new word to his vocabulary and he obviously believed what I was proclaiming with all his heart!

I would be lying to say that I don't use Principle 20 every day. It's part of being a cheeseball... and a mom. But this week reminded me that Principle 20, used in moderation, can work wonders on many audiences. Have you added a little drama to your life lately?

A GIANT Underdog!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that, used in moderation and after getting to know your audience, a little drama goes a long way. Another good post!

    ReplyDelete